The temps are rising, the days are getting longer and grilling season is upon us. While we think our Bourbon Barrel Aged Pepper Sauce and Maple Syrup can stand on their own just fine, they also make for great summer recipe ideas on the grill and in the bar. Here are a few ways we like to use our Pepper Sauce and Maple Syrup when we think about summer:
Pepper Sauce Summer Recipe Ideas:
- Spicy chicken wings: see recipe below
- Barbecue sauce for ribs or any BBQ meat
- Pulled pork tacos
- Guacamole: it adds just the right amount of heat
- Cocktail sauce or served straight on raw oysters
Maple Syrup Summer Recipe Ideas:
- Substitute for sugar in a batch of sweet iced tea
- Drizzle on vanilla ice cream
- Marinades, sauces and salad dressings
- Cocktails: see recipe below
- Glaze on wings: see recipe below
So what do we have firing on the grill tonight? See below for our Smoked Spicy Maple Glazed Wings Recipe which we think pairs quite nicely with this summer cocktail recipe:
Maple Zombie: This is an adaptation of the original tiki inspired Zombie cocktail made famous in the mid 1930’s by Don Beach from Don The Beachcomber’s spot in Hollywood. According to wikipedia, Don would limit customers to two Zombies apiece because of their potency, which Beach said could make one "like the walking dead." Hence the name Zombie. Our version scales back the high alcohol content as well as sweetness which we believe is the right way a tiki drink should be enjoyed (umbrella optional).
- 2 oz. Light Rum
- .5 oz. Dark Rum
- .5 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- .5 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz. Fresh Orange Juice
- .5 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
- .5 oz Grenadine
- .75 oz. Pappy & Company Barrel Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- Soda Water
- 6 mint sprigs
- Add light rum, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, passion fruit syrup, maple syrup, 4 sprigs of mint and grenadine in a shaker.
- Shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks filled Collins glass and top with soda water.
- Garnish with remaining 2 sprigs of mint and float dark rum over top.
Smoked Spicy Maple Glazed Wings
- 4 lbs. of wings
- Pappy & Company Smoking Chunks
- Cilantro for garnish
- 4 tbsp unsalted melted butter
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp Pappy & Company Pure Maple Syrup
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp Pappy & Company Pepper Sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Combine all of the wing sauce ingredients in a large bowl and toss the wings in it.
- Let marinate overnight.
- Cook the wings on a grill at 375 degrees.
- Occasionally add smoking chunks until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170 degrees and the skin is crisp.
- Serve immediately and garnish with cilantro.