Boo! It’s Halloween, so what better drink to celebrate the season than our Maple Zombie handcrafted cocktail? This fuses two types of rum into a smooth fruity concoction that ghosts the high alcohol content of this tasty treat. Be careful, some say that if you drink more than one, you’ll be a walking zombie the next day! And that’s no treat, just a bad trick. Please drink responsibly. Happy Halloween from all of us at Pappy & Company!
- 2 oz. Light rum
- .5 oz. Dark rum
- .5 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz. Fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. Orange juice
- .5 oz. Passion fruit syrup
- .5 oz Grenadine
- .75 oz. Pappy & Company Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- Soda water
- 6 mint sprigs
- Reserve dark rum, 2 mint sprigs and soda water for last step. Add all other ingredients and shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks filled Collins glass and top with soda water. Don’t have a Collins glass? No problem. We don’t either. We like to opt for this Old Rip Van Winkle rocks glass. It fits perfectly in your hand and is easy to sip from.
- Garnish with 4 sprigs of mint and float dark rum over top.
For those of you following us on social media @PappyandCo, you hopefully saw our posts from our recent trip to New Orleans, LA for the annual Barn Smoker series with our good friends at Drew Estate. Drew Estate Barn Smokers are a “unique” experience to say the least. They’re intended to bring cigar smokers to the barn level to teach attendees about the ins and outs of tobacco growing, processing, and finishing. Think education meets a barn full of cigar buffs. In addition to the educational component, Barn Smokers are always filled with good food, lots of good cocktails and of course plenty of fine cigars.
In the spirit of this annual event, we thought we’d share this cigar inspired cocktail known as the “Cigar Chewing Charlie.”
This is a tequila and mezcal based cocktail which we love this time of year. The mezcal adds a smoky flavor to the drink that pairs quite nicely with a cigar in the other hand. The hints of bourbon barrel fermenting, that our cigars pickup, are the inspiration for this smoky drink that can be enjoyed fireside with your favorite cigar of choice.
Cigar Chewing Charlie
- 1 oz. Tequila
- .5 oz. Mala Idea Mezcal
- .75 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- .5 oz. Pappy & Company Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- .25 oz. Orgeat
- .75 oz. Angostura Bitters
- Lemon peel for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain into a coupe glass and garnish. (flower, lemon peel optional).
- Don’t have a coupe glass? No problem. We don’t either. We like to opt for this Key-Etched Rocks Glass which is a slightly smaller size perfect for sipping a cocktail that is otherwise served straight up.