We hope you enjoy this recipe series and look forward to seeing pictures of your own fall harvests using fall’s finest bounty. Be sure to tag us@PappyandCo or with #PappyandCo so we can spread the word about what our fans are cooking in the kitchen.
Part 3: Sips and Sweets
It wouldn’t be a proper dinner party if we weren’t pouring bourbon cocktails and finishing the night with one of our favorite pecan pie recipes. This cocktail is delicious, easy to make and the secret ingredient is the egg white that gives it a light frothy texture. Pecan Pie is a southern staple we have been baking for years. The twist was issuing our new Smithey Ironware skillet to bake it in and of course our bourbon whipped cream to top things off. Again with just the right hint of sweetness from ourBourbon Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup.
Skillet Maple Pecan Pie with Bourbon Whipped Cream:
Ingredients for Pie:
- 1 pie crust, store-bought
- 5 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cupBourbon Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) roughly chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top after baked
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 3 TBSP bourbon of choice
- 3 TBSP ofBourbon Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup (or more if you like it sweeter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove pie crust from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature 5-10 minutes, until just pliable enough to roll. Roll into a large even circle about ¼-inch thick and 14 inches in diameter, dusting with a bit of flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Carefully lift dough into the skillet and gently press into the bottom and corners, leaving no air gaps. Fold the overhanging dough under to yield a thick border, then shape as desired with your fingers or a fork. Trim away excess dough. Dock dough all over with a fork and return to the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray one side of a piece of foil or parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray and lay on top of the chilled dough. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove pie weights and foil or parchment and return the skillet to the oven. Bake uncovered until the crust is cooked through and lightly golden in color, about 5-10 minutes longer.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and eggs.
- Scatter pecans and chocolate chips into the warm pre-cooked pie crust. Carefully pour the filling over the top. Bake in a preheated oven for 60-75 minutes, just until set. While pie is cooking, combine whipping cream, bourbon and syrup in a chilled metal bowl. Whip until peaks form. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once pie is cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the skillet before slicing. Serve with whipped cream.
Maple Bourbon Sours:
- 1.5 oz. Bourbon of choice
- .75 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz.Bourbon Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 egg white
- Shake all ingredients with ice for 30 seconds
- Strain into a coupe glass; alternately, we used ourKey Etched Rocks Glasses.
- Garnish on top with a lemon wheel