Is it really August already? Summer always seems to fly by, but there are still a few more weeks left to enjoy the warm nights, easy entertaining, and our favorite bourbon inspired recipes. This combo is quick to make, a crowd pleaser among many, and has become a household staple this summer when it comes to eating and drinking on the patio.
Maple Bourbon Sours: AKA: Carrie’s Cocktail
This refreshing bourbon cocktail has become one of Carrie’s favorites to make and drink all summer long. While a raw egg white might seem a bit unusual, it is the secret ingredient that makes the drink so light and frothy.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 egg white
- 1 ounce freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel-Aged Pure Maple Syrup
- Add bourbon and egg white to a cocktail shaker and vigorously shake for 15-20 seconds until the egg white is very frothy.
- Add the lemon juice, maple syrup, and a handful of ice to the shaker, and shake for a few seconds to combine and chill the drink.
- Strain and serve immediately in a glass over ice. Garnish with a lemon wheel.
Spicy Hummus and Crudite Platter
Our Barrel-Aged Pepper Sauce adds just the right amount of heat to your classic hummus and crudite platter. It pairs well with this cocktail as the heat of the hummus is cooled by the frothy and refreshing citrus flavors of the drink. Together it's a perfectly paired Pappy Hour menu for easy entertaining during the warm summer nights.
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel-Aged Pepper Sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Crudite vegetables of choice
Combine tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper sauce in a food processor or blender; blend until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Add garbanzo beans and blend for 2 minutes. Add water and blend for 3 minutes more. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Plate with fresh cut vegetables such as carrots, radishes, celery, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.