Delicious summer inspired dishes using our heirloom cornbread and fresh from the garden flavor!
Our versatile Heirloom Cornbread Mix packs a punch. Featuring the distinct flavor of heirloom cornmeal milled the old fashioned way from our friends at Marsh Hen Mill, and infused with the rich and buttery flavor of our pure Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup with hints of oak and vanilla, it is the perfect accompaniment to classic seasonal dishes. We are sharing some of favorite recipes that combine our cornbread and fresh summer flavor that will on repeat all summer long!
It's not just the name of a famous book and movie, it is a true southern delicacy bursting with flavor, and our Fried Green Tomatoes have a special ingredient, our heirloom cornmeal. Of course you could never go wrong with traditional cornbread in the summer alongside any of your favorite grilled dishes, but for a special touch we have added golden-brown crunch to a classic Italian Panzanella with cornbread croutons (that are delicious on any of your other favorite summer salads - try our Spring Queen Salad).
Our cornmeal dusted Fried-Green Tomatoes feature a second signature ingredient, our Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel-Aged Pepper Sauce, that gives a surprising hit of sweet heat in each bite. A fresh drizzle of pepper sauce or barrel-aged pure maple syrup (or our new spicy syrupfor an added kick) on the crackling, perfectly golden brown, crunchy crust promises a dish with a depth of flavor that will seem like you spent hours in the kitchen!
Our cornbread Panzanella brings you the fresh Italian flavors of a traditional Panzanella, but with a southern accent. A Tuscan specialty that typically features a combination of tomatoes, onions and fresh summer vegetables with stale bread drenched in a an herby, sweeet and slightly sour dressing. Of course, good bread is an Italian staple, so our version of Panzanella gives it a decidedly Southern twist.
It's about this time of the summer that our gardens are producing their full bounty. We love plucking freshly grown produce, fresh stalks of bright green basil promising a subtly sweet and slightly spicy flavor with a hint of mint and sun ripened red cherry tomatoes ready to burst with their tangy juiciness that make this Panzanella an over the top delight.
Chef's Recommendation:Our new custom chef's knife with a hand-crafted Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrel stave handle, will effortlessly slice and dice summer's bounty to perfection!
Is there anything better than the combination of peak of summer flavors in a delicious Fried Green Tomato?"
Louise Van Winkle Breen, Co-Founder
1. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high until nearly smoking.
2. While the skillet is heating slice green tomatoes super thin—about 1/8 inch thick.
3. Create your dredging station by using two dinner plates. Mix together Cornbread Mix and Kosher salt on one plate, evenly distributing across the plate. On the other plate pour buttermilk and stir in Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel Aged Pepper Sauce.
4. Once your skillet is smoking, add oil.
5. Dip each tomato slice in the buttermilk then the cornbread mix, coating completely, shaking off excess and adding to the skillet once the oil is piping hot.
6. Fill the skillet with a single layer of tomatoes for each batch, turning down the heat to medium high.
7. Cook each tomato 1 ½ to 2 minutes a side, flipping when golden brown. Then place finished tomatoes on a cooling rack or into the oven on Warm until ready to serve.
8. Serve with a drizzle of Barrel-Aged Pepper Sauce, Syrup or Spicy Syrup.
Basil Mint Vinaigrette:
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Pappy Bourbon Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1. Slice an English cucumber length wise and scoop out the center with a spoon.
2. Slice and add to a large bowl.
3. Add thinly sliced red onion, halved tomatoes, salt and pepper.
4. Add Cornbread croutons and torn fresh basil.
5. Add Basil Mint Vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve room temperature and enjoy!
For Basil Mint Vinaigrette:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon mustard, lemon zest, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
2. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined.
3. Stir in syrup, mint and basil.
1 Package Heirloom Cornbread Mix
2 Cups Full Fat Buttermilk
2 Large Eggs
8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
½ Cup Pappy & Company Bourbon Barrel Aged Pure Maple Syrup
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On the stovetop, in 10-inch skillet (ovenproof and preferably cast iron), melt the butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan to lightly coat sides and bottom, until the foam subsides and the butter turns a deep nut brown. (Watch carefully to see that it does not burn.)
3. Pour brown butter into a large bowl.
4. Put the skillet in the preheated oven or back on the stove top to keep hot. (Do not wipe out the pan.)
5. Whisk the maple syrup into the butter, then whisk in buttermilk. The mixture should be cool to the touch; if not, let cool before whisking in the eggs.
6. Then whisk in the cornbread mix. Carefully scrape the batter into the piping hot skillet (the sides should start to sizzle).
7. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean, about 20 minutes depending on the size of your skillet.
8. Let cool in the skillet for 10 minutes before serving. Always best served warm, with a pat of salted butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup if you'd like.
FOR CROUTONS FOLLOW THE NEXT STEP:
9. Once cool, dice into cubes. Place them on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp, set aside to cool.
Chef's Note:Prepare Pappy & Company Heirloom Cornbreadper our recipe. Your croutons will turn out even better
if you make the cornbread a day in advance and let it get a little dry.