SWEET & SPICY HOMEMADE WINGS
When it comes to party food, just wing it! These Hot Sticky Toffee Chicken Wings will wow guests at your summer soiree. Sweet toffee meets our smoky Pappy hot sauce for moist chicken pieces and a finger-licking sauce. Make sure you have enough napkins to go around!
Libbie Summers, artistic director of her own lifestyle brand, “A Food-Inspired Life,” and Pappy & Company have partnered up again to bring you a series of recipes inspired by our Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrel-aged Pepper Sauce. Pop these sweet and spicy wings in the oven, then check out the rest of Libbie’s delicious spicy summer soiree menu.
WINNER, WINNER SPICY-LOVER DINNER
- 12 chicken wings (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Pappy & Company Barrel-aged Pepper Sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 4 medium limes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- At the joint, separating the drumette from the flat, cut each of the chicken wings in half. Cut the tip off each flat. Set the drumettes and flats aside and discard the tips.
- In a large oven-safe pan (try a large ceramic braiser), combine the rest of the ingredients and cook the mixture over low heat, stirring, just until the butter has melted and the sugar has begun to dissolve.
- Remove from the heat, add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer on the bottom of the pan and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Increase the temperature to 450 degrees F, and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until the sauce is reduced and the drumettes and flats are thickly glazed. During baking, turn the wings a few times so they get a proper gooey coating.
- Garnish with green onion and jalapeño slices. Serve warm with plenty of napkins!
Recipe by Libbie Summers and photography by Jade and Matthew Take Pictures